Whole Wheat Flour Sweet Modaks
For outer covering of modak
- 2 cup whole wheat flour (gheu ka atta/ ghwach peeth)
- 1 cup fine semolina (rava/suji)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon warm ghee
- Water to knead the dough
For inner stuffing
- 1½ cup grated jaggery
- 1½ cup grated fresh coconut (naral/nariyal)or dry coconut(khopra gola)
- 1 teaspoon freshly crushed cardamom powder
- Grounded /chopped 10 almonds and 10 cashew nuts
- Refined oil or ghee to fry modak
- Mix all the ingredients except water mentioned in covering ingredients …. warm ghee should be rubbed nicely with the flour and semolina.
- add little little water and make a stiff dough… stiff dough will make the modak covering crunchy ….keep the dough aside atleast for 1- 2 hours before making modak out of it ..
- If your using dry coconut(khopra/gola)— there is no need to cook all the ingredient …just roast the grated dry coconut to make it light brown …remove it from heat let it cool crushed with ir fingers …it becomes very crispy after roasting ..add all the stuffing ingredients in it ….mix it with your fingers ..ur stuffing is ready for modak
- If ur using fresh coconut(naral/nariyal)—Mix all the stuffing ingredient except cashew almond powder and cardamom powder…..
- Cook and stir the mixture on low or medium flame till mixture is dry
- Remove it from the flame and add cardmom powder and almond cashew nut powder
For making modak
- Divide the dough in 4 equal parts …. Take it on the back side of the big thali(plate) roll it into 5-6 inch diameter disc…apply ghee and dust little flour on it …fold it in half and again apply ghee and dust some flour on it fold it into triangle and roll it into little thick disc now…. take a small kattori with nice edges and cut small disc from this big disc …in this way you can make atlest 6-7 disc at a time and no need to make single puri or disc … we r folding it like paratha as we want layers in modak ….
- Now take one disc and add 1 teaspoon of stuffing in it and gather the ends of this disc to form potli or a dumpling…. bring all the edges together and close the top shape and taper the top of the modak … seal the modak properly otherwise it will open while frying…
- Make all the modak in this way…keep them for ½ an hour before frying …
- Deep fry this modak in ghee and serve them hot to lord ganesha
Tips for deep fried modak recipe (whole wheat flour)
- Semolina makes this modak very crispy
- While making the modak disc follow the paratha folds which I had mentioned ..it forms nice layers in the modak covering
- If you want to store this modak for some days use dry coconut instead of fresh coconut …
- Fry this modaks on medium or low flame
Recipe Courtesy: Healthy Veg Recipes