- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp oil warm water for kneading
- oil for shallow frying
- Sieve the flour and salt together in bowl. Rub in the oil and add warm water gradually. Knead until smooth. Cover and leave aside for 20 minutes.
- Knead again and divide the dough into 8 portions. Shape each into a round ball. Flatten a little.
- Roll out each flattened ball into a circle of 150 mm. (6″) diameter. Cut into 50 mm. (2″) strips lengthways. Place all the strips over the center one.
- Roll like a Swiss roll. Press a little with your fingers. Pour 1 teaspoon of oil on each roll.
- Take one roll at a time and roll it out into a round of about 125 mm. (5″) diameter.
- When you remove the round, palce it on your palms and lightly press towards the center to show the layers clearly.
- Heat a tava and cook the rounds lightly on both sides. When you want to serve, cook the rounds directly on the gas or preferably on charcoal. Apply butter and serve hot.
Recipe Courtesy: tarladalal.com