- 100 gm (1/2 cup) ghee
- 105 gm (3/4 cups) wholewheat flour or atta
- 375 ml (1 1/2 cups) water
- 220 gm (3/4 cup) unbleached jaggery
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed to a powder
- In a saucepan, mix in the jaggery and the water and heat until the jaggery dissolves completely. Do not allow it to boil.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the ghee on a medium flame until it melts. Once the ghee melts and you get the golden coloured liquid, characteristic of ghee put in the flour and roast on low heat, until the wheat flour acquires a golden brown colour and acquires a toasted aroma, devoid of the raw smell of the flour. This should take about 8 or 10 minutes. You need to keep stirring this mixture all the while, to make sure that the flour doesnt stick to the bottom of the pan and get burnt.
- Once the wheat flour acquires that nice brown colour after cooking to the point just before it begins to burn and turn black, pour in the jaggery water into the toasted wheat, carefully avoiding any splatter.
- Whisk well until the mixture turns smooth and cook for a minute more.
- Stir in the cardamom powder, mix well and serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe Courtesy: divinetaste.com